View Single Post
Old 04-26-2004, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Warden
All three of the American companies make SRW one-tons now, although Dodge didn't until '03. I don't know when GM started with SRW 1 ton's, but I know that Ford was making them in the '80's...
Anything newer than about 1997 won't work, can't afford it.

Quote:

BTW, my attitude towards Chevy is about the same as your attitude to Ford (added by my anger with them over ruining the U.S. diesel market with the 350 diesel)
They did do that. What a POS. Who's bright friggin' idea was it to take a SBC 350 gas engine and bolt up a couple of ill designed "diesel" heads on it and call it a "diesel engine". Don't know how many I saw come through with <25k on them and blown to pieces and leaking everything everywhere.

Quote:

That said, when Peter was advising you to get a larger truck, I think he's talking about you getting a medium-duty, such as a Freightliner FL50 or a GMC Kodiak or an IH or an F-650...
Sheesh, not even a SLIM chance of that. Not only can't I afford it, but I can't have a single purpose vehicle just for the occasional trailer towing. Hell, my Jeep can do that if a 3/4 ton diesel can't and I could just buy a 1982 chevy 1/2 ton pickup for hauling turkey feathers (apparently anything else would severely overload a diesel pickup chassis, no matter what the rating) and be done with it for a few k LESS than what I'd sell this gasser for.

That TH400 I had in the Jeep must've been made out of armor. It held up towing a 6k lb trailer accross the highest passes and in the hottest summers. That was in a 1/2 ton chassis no less. Guess they REALLY don't make 'em like they used to.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol