View Single Post
Old 04-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Stella!

Miracle Lubricant

Last week, right on the heels of discovering that Lilly had a completely shot CV boot, we had to make a trip to OKC. I'm not to keen on driving a car that I know needs repair (particularly to a driveline component) but, I had no choice in this situation.

The dash to OKC was uneventful and I never heard a peep out of that joint for the 6 days that we were there. However, when we hit the road heading home Tuesday evening we'd only gone about 100 miles when the telltale clicking and rumble started. For a while, I could ease-up on the throttle to unload the joint and it would silence itsself but, another 40 miles and even that wasn't doing any good.

From the brief pre-trip inspection, I knew that the boot was completely torn into two pieces so, I thought that if I could get any sort of viscous lubricant forced in there I might just be able to make it to Fort Worth or maybe even close enough to home so that AAA would haul her to the house in the event of a total failure.

We pulled into a Love's truckstop somewhere just north of the state line to look for cup grease or anything to lube that joint...the only lubricant I could find in a dispenser was, get this, fifth wheel lubricant! This stuff comes in a what looks like a tire sealant bottle and is the consistency of runny peanut butter.

I squirted about a tablespoon into what was left of the boot, trying my best to force the gook into the joint.

Guess what? It worked! We made it home and I never heard another sound out of that axle the remainder of the trip. Whew!