View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 06:16 PM

Transmission, help!

I'm installing a quality used transmission in my 300sdl. To maintain warranty, I need to replace the external seals. The three that I have questions about are the front seal, front pump o-ring, and rear seal. Using the ATSG manual as a reference, I thought that the front pump had to come out to replace the front pump seal. This is clearly not the case; I've re-attached the front pump. However, the manual calls for using a "non hardening sealant" on the bolts. What is an appropriate product?

As far as I can tell, the front seal needs to be pryed off the front with needle nose pliers or some similar technique. The ATSG manual is mum on this. It looks the same for the output shaft and rear seal, however, is slightly complicated by needing to remove the output shaft. Please correct me or send any tips.

Finally, the front pump o-ring seems to sit on the exterior of the front pump. What holds it in place? It can't be the torque converter, can it? Wouldn't the TC just chew up the ring? Again the ATSG manual is unclear about this.

All advice is appreciated.

1986 300sdl