View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 12:21 AM

Re: What does the Tie Rod do? How to replace?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Goodfahrt
What does the tie rod do and is it easy to replace? My state inspection told me my right one was bad. How can a "rod" go bad?

Can I do this without a lift? I have ramps and my tire jack. I will check fastlane for the part.

Thanks...

PS... I did check the DIY page first but no tie rod instructions.
It is a rod that has a "ball joint" at each end that turns the spindle.

Changing is CAKE!

Just jack up (if all you have is a stock jack, put some blocks or jack-stands under the car, don't trust a tire jack) , unbolt the retainer nut, use a pickle fork (or a gear puller/ball joint press) to separate at both ends, rod drops free.

Use the old rod to approximate the same distance with the new rod ends and tighten it.

Bolt in the new rod (complete rod NOT just the end, too cheap NOT to get the whole rod with both ends), torque to spec. Take car and have it aligned.

One thing, to save the cost of re-alignment, might as well replace BOTH tie rods if the bad one is very loose as they're both probably pretty worn and you'll replace the other one soon and have to have it aligned yet again.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol