View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 01:53 PM

I have adjusted the evap temp sensor (with the little screw), NOT the TXV. By adjusting the evap temp sensor I've just lowered the point at which the compressor cuts out to avoid freeze up of the evap, making that point closer to ~34ºF, rather than the ~38º to 40º that they seem to be.

The TXV can be adjusted, however, but I've not got to that level of experimentation. It was reported on one of the AC boards by another participant.

Essentially it consisted of adjusting the round brass block at the end of the TXV with a special tool (or home made) clockwise to reduce flow; counterclockwise to increase flow. This was presented on the A/C board as theory and experiment only, NOT as a somethijng to correct R-12 to R-134a P/T curve differentials.

I've marked original position on an old TXV and played with screwing the brass plug in and out, but I've never installed it in my system. Actually, I planned to just drill out both channels in the old TXV to use it with a recirculating flush system I'm slowly buiding (air operated diaphragm pump w/ viton seals, gallon bucket, solvent resistant hoses, manifold adaptor, etc).

1984 300SD (bought new, sold it in 1988, bought it back 13 yrs. later)

Last edited by jbaj007; 07-28-2006 at 12:36 AM.