View Single Post
Old 05-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Zen And The Art Of Diesel

Quote:
Originally posted by braverichard
You're wrong there. As much as I recognize the fact that the car is in excellent shape and is a collector's item, I don't believe it has achieved the status to command such a premium price yet. If one searches hard enough, I bet they can still find some of those cars with relatively low mileage. Hey, I just bought a 1984 300SD with 145,xxx miles and it was in mint condition. Even the seats were in excellent shape. Hey, I don't miss the point. I paid $55,000 for very old, rare Jag two years ago. It was in prestine condition and was rarely used. But I sold it recently to get my money back for my business.

I was just saying that instead of spending that kind of money on that car which isn't old enough to be considered a top value collectors' item, I'd rather buy a newer, E-Class diesel. At least I can pick up chicks with the E-Class and not with that old school benz. LOL
To each there own, and I don't begrudge anyone finding cheap low mile cars as I said before, especialy if there going to care for them and appreciate them. It's just the bottemfeeder type that buys a $2K SD or whatever and drives it into the damn ground. This very common occurence with ALL European imports IS going to make there value go way up eventualy as there will be relativly few nice one's left. Wait and see.

And there is absolutly nothing to make me want a new anything, E class, whatever, there the oposite of everything I like about an old 126 or 123. For that kind of money in a new car there are better things to be had. Better being a relative term. They are pretty and technicaly interisting, but I have as much interist in owneing and maintaining and swallowing the depreciation as I do in haveing a hole drilled in my skull.

And I managed to pick up chicks in my VW diesel pickups, and I'm as picky over women as I am over vehicles...
An "interisting" old car is a good litmus test for women. If they don't like my VW's, I don't have any use for them. And I can afford to be picky in this case.