View Single Post
Old 05-09-2004, 04:16 AM
Zen And The Art Of Diesel

Quote:
Originally posted by DieselAddict
I don't think there's always a clear distinction between those who buy the cheapest cars they can find and wrench on them every day in their backyards and those who buy expensive, low-mile garage queens and rarely touch them. I'm one of those in between those two groups. I'm sort of a collector and I'm always keeping an eye out for well-maintained, pristine old diesels, but I also like to work on them to make sure they're in top shape mechanically too and not just cosmetically. Like I said I almost bought that $15K 83 240D last year, but one of the things that turned me off was a picture of the engine with a pitch-black brake fluid. What's the point of spending so much on a car that only looks good but has had crappy maintenance?
There are always exceptions and grey areas. Today for instance, I saw in Greenville N.C. no less than 5 w123's two being wagons, an an older SL. The SL was spotless, the 123's were not ragged, but were obviously drivers. And the fact that they passed me without a second look speaks enough for there owners in my book.

And it's easier by way, way far, for me anyway, to fix mechanicals than cosmetics. Turning a car with a quarter million miles of dinged up, faded, bad trim, bad rubber body into a show winner WILL cost as much as a new OM617. I'd rather have a beautiful car and fix the mechanicals, I'm not a body man at all, but I can spin a wrench just dandy, profesionaly or personaly.