View Single Post
Old 05-11-2004, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MT_Merc
Good mechanics don't exist on every streetcourner, and adding the complexity of a Mercedes diesel to the mix really cuts the list down, but I know at least one guy who knows how to fix anything pre-computer (and a fair amount of newer stuff if it doesn't get into electronics too much) and will do it for what would probably work out to sometime like $20/hr.
Well................Maybe.

I have a friend that runs a great shop and has a thriving auto repair business. But, when it comes to diesels and the other common issues with MB cars, he does not do so well. He even owns a 420 SEL, but had real trouble resolving vacuum issues and all the other fun stuff that goes with these older cars. I learned the hard way that spending $70 - $100 per hour to have someone efficiently diagnose and fix a problem is a LOT CHEAPER than spending $30-$40 per hour and doing it 3 times. Not to mention the cost of parts that are thrown at problems. Also, the economics of my time. His shop was about 40 minutes away. I had to call in favors for rides or borrow cars because he was "working me in" and that took longer.

I have an SDL that has 233K miles. Yes I am putting money into it. I had it painted and have new wheels on it. Put in a good stereo and am planning to have an interior seat repaired. I have steadily been getting small stuff fixed. So in a year, I have probably put $3500 into the car. I still have the seat repair and a control arm to replace. That is probably another $750 to $1000.

But I do not view this car as disposable. Before getting the car painted, I drove it for 6 months and was chatting with my mechanic buddy (from above) and he pointed to a newer BMW and my car and asked me which one I would rather drive. I told him that I would love to take the BMW around the block, but I would much rather "drive" my SDL. "Then go get it painted" was his response. In reality, there are very few cars I would rather own and that I take as much pride in owning. Before this I had done the leasing game and thrown that money out the window for years. $6-700 per month and worry about dings and going over on mileage, etc. It got old and I ended up with nothing. I figure that I can spend up to $6000 per year in maintenance and still be ahead.