View Single Post
Old 05-15-2004, 10:17 AM

adjusting vacuum governor for smoooth changes

hello again,

my trials continue but i am determined to sort out this car!

i am currently experiencing a disfunctional transmission. not only does it not change up early enough but when it does it jerks into gear. similarly on downshifts. it also takes about three seconds to engage the kickdown.

all of this means that the gearbox feels like it's fighting the engine and the result is both unsatisfying and very uneconomical.

i have done a search on this site and seen much stuff on the vacuum modulator (governor).

all the rubber hoses appear to be in good condition, i have run the car with the vacuum hose unattached to the governor and the result is a slightly harsher change still, but not much different.

so here are my questions:

1. i have a new governor but can't figure out how to remove the old one. instructions for this would be most welcome.

2. i have attached a large syringe to the governor and sucked out the air and it seemed to hold the vacuum well. i see that there is an adjustment 't' bar, will adjusting this help me, and if so which way should i turn.

3. any other thoughts would be most welcome.

as always, thanking you in advance.

regards justin

ps. on ebay yesterday a mint mid '80s W123 280te sold for £6,000!!! same colour as mine too.