View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 08:09 AM

tickover slows imperceptibly till the engine dies

first,

thanks to everyone who has helped me on this board. i have now sorted the transmission problem and the car runs beautifully......for a while.

i had the car tuned because it was very rich and not running well at all.

then for a few days it ran very well, with a tickover at about 6-700 revs when warm. then i noticed that slowly over a period of days this figure was falling, and over the next week once the engine got down to about 300 revs it died and became a beggar to start. being automatic, this makes it impossible to drive because as soon as you take your foot of the gas pedal to put it into gear the engine dies. the soot appearing out of the exhaust suggests that it had returned to running rich again.

i took it back to the tuner who said that it needed more air, he fiddled, (i couldn't see what he adjusted as i was in the drivers seat starting and revving the engine for him).

once again it ran very well for a few days, although now at a higher tickover, about 1,100. over the last week it has once again started to drop away and is not starting again.

it seems to be alright when the engine is cold but as soon as it is warm the problem appears after about half and hour.

the choke seems to be working as the engine reduces tickover after a couple of minutes of warming up

does anyone have a clue what could be making this happen.

this is the last problem (so far) that needs to be sorted and if i can fix it i will have saved this nice old girl from the wreckers, and proved all my doubting thomas friends wrong.

many thanks

justin