View Single Post
Old 05-16-2004, 11:16 AM

W124 Rotor Replacement

Although the DIY instructions on this web site are very good, there are some details to add for rotor replacement. I have a 1994 E320 Wagon with 89,000 miles. I replaced all 4 rotors and pads. My model has ASR. I ordered all parts from FastLane (thanks, Phil) but they were out of PBR Deluxe pads so I got Mintex on the front and Textar yellow box on the rears.[list=1][*]Checking that the rotor is flat - the instructions that came with the Balo rotors say to check them with a runout gauge after installation. I do not think a DIYer can or should do this since until the wheel is tightened up it is likely the rotor will not appear exactly flat on runout. I would say if using new rotors of good quality do not bother with this[*]Rear Rotors incorporate a parking brake. For some reason the rear rotors were much harder to break free than the front. In the process of doing so one of the parking brake pads broke up. I would in the future just buy new parking brake pads and replace them as part of the job. Now I have to do it again next weekend![*]Realize that with ASR there are 8 total pad sensors to be replaced. Phil only shipped 4 (even though I told him it had ASR). Sensors are $8 EACH at the dealer, whereas Phil's are less than $2.[*]The rear pads incorporated a shim which "inserted" into a recess in the caliper which was very difficult to remove. I had to break them apart to get them out. My new pads did not fit properly with those shims in place.[/list=1]

Last edited by ChipJ; 05-16-2004 at 12:49 PM.