View Single Post
Old 05-17-2004, 01:47 AM

battery replacement - 3rd brake light

While checking the inoperative 3rd brakelight on my 96 SL320, I discharged the battery (2 brake lites and AC fan were on), and lost the window sync. among other things. I checked with hygrmtr and charged the batt, but I am only buying time I know.

After charging overnite, re-established window sync, and remote lock/alarm, and the car cranks fine, but the TOP up/down light, and the Rollbar indicator lights are on. Does anyone know what steps are necessary to reset these red lites?

I've searched the site, found reference it Interstate MTP93 battery as direct replacement, I can't complain about the MB battery life(8yrs) and have no idea of the cost, any recomendations on aftermarket batteries?

Also read on the site of battery's being incorrectly connected and damaging electrical/computer componets, am I correct in my assumption that the standard battery procedure, connect positive lead first, and then the ground lead, is correct?

BTW, the 3rd brake light looks to have a broken hot wire, (gnd is good) and I will check for power on the other side of the trunk-hinge bend where it goes into a heavy plastic sleeve and harness.

TIA for your input,
MikeK
Stanley, NC
K1200RS