View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 10:27 AM

Exclamation 93' 300E Low Oil Indicator light on....and more

Thank you for such a great forum! I would like to introduce myself, my name is Andrew Montoya and I own 2 Mercedes. I have just recently purchased a 1993 300E in great shape, smooth idle and no warning lights on, with 88k miles and only small details to address.
My first problem occured when I was changing the oil this past weekend and I noticed 3 wires that run parallel to the oil filter housing that were cracked and stripped. These wires seem to start at different locations from under the oil filter housing and they all end up in a plug that is secured by 2 screws in front of the fuse box. I did my best to use electricians tape and plastic tubing to isolate the 3 stripped wires but now the oil pressure indicator gauge in the dashboard is not operating (I must of done something wrong!). Also the low oil level light is coming on which is worrisome, although I check the oil level continously and it is OK. Does this light come on due to the oil pressure gauge not working? Or is it possible that this light is triggered by 1 of the 3 stripped wires? What is the best way to replace these wires and or should other components be checked. As I stated earlier, the car had no warning lights on and all was working properly. Thanks in advance for all the help...

Andrew Montoya
Orlando, Florida USA