View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 06:43 PM

Ultradrive A-604 transmission

Hi Guys

Once again I come to seek knowledge with a non-mercedes car, but, mercedes posts will soon follow.

As some of you might know, I recently rebuilt an engine in a 91 Plymouth acclaim, 3.0L. The engine runs like a charm, just needs a new oil pan gasket and O2 sensor.

Now I have to deal with the transmission.

I did some reaserch, and I know that it's the A-604 aka Ultradrive which takes only ATF+3 fluid since Dexron can ruin it.

This transmission is stuck in limp mode, it won't shift past 2nd gear. I want to restore or rebuild it to good as new condition.

Naturally my first step was to look for a manual, I found a few, but I would have to order them online and that would not be the best thing to do. I know a lot of people have worked on these trannies before and would be able to recommend a good detailed manual for it and where I could get one. I would really appreciate any directions as to where I could get such a manual.

Secondly parts, I know that aftermarket parts are no good since they are weak and cause the transmission to fall apart rather quick, dealer down here is super expencive, so any online stores that would be able to ship to Canada would be greatly appreciated, I know Fastlane does not carry Chrysler parts.

And lastly, and most importantly any experiance when working with these transmissions other then "CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN" for which I now have a handy compressor that will aid me a lot in that field

I already dished out a hefty $2k on a transmission rebuild on my dads car, he happens to drive the same thing just 94 model, and since these are good winter cars, if I can learn to fix the tranny, I will have completed a complete rebuild of this car.

Thanking you in Advance....

xp