Thread: 2001 mile drive
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 08:52 AM

PJG56:

The car is my only vehicle. I bought it for 27 or 28k GBP (about US$40k) in March 2003 after a long search for a 129. It really is my dream car; when I was a kid these things were so far out of reach... Anyway, it had 49k miles on when I bought it and it now has over 77k: I do about 25k miles a year. I have it serviced at Mercedes-Benz dealers. I have finally found a very good one, but they are extremely expensive. I'm meticulous in my maintenance requirements, but it is proving very costly.

Somebody drove into one of the front fenders last July. It only needed a new panel, so the repair was easy, but the paint match was very difficult. The bodyshop did an excellent job. In March this year the rear wheel arch was driven into while the car was parked; this time the bodyshop pulled out and reformed the wheel arch (replacing the rear quarter is obviously a no-no) and again did a super job of repairing it.

Fortunately it has only been rained on while topless the once! It was a real thunderstorm and left about an inch of water on the back seats. I often park it with the top down, though (although I understand the insurance to be inoperative if I do so). I refuse to let the fear of crime spoil my enjoyment of the car. So far, touch wood, nobody has been anything less than appreciative of the vehicle.

I suppose I just love the car!

BobK:

She's got a good feel for cars; she really has a sense of balancing and handling vehicles, whether her own BMW compact or my car. Sadly she is hopeless at directions and map reading (aren't they all). When I opened my eyes to see her threading it up the twisty autoroute at 130, I figured I was best off going back to sleep! He she is at a more modest (although still illegal) gait:

1993 E300 diesel T
1990 190