View Single Post
Old 05-27-2004, 06:04 PM
Banned

Three years ago I worked down there in one of the poorest neighborhoods in Barahona--the city inwhich many of the flooding deaths occured. I walked alone through the enighborhoods each day and never got anything from anybody more menacing than a smile. The people were delightful and fun.

On the other hand (there is always one of those) I have heard that lots of neighborhoods in Santo Domingo are very dangerous. The police drive through them in jeeps with .30 machineguns.

Cigars and rum, they're as good as the best anywhere. Nice bars and restaurants are within easy walking distance. Yeah, you can tour several old houses and cathedrals in the city. The history is interesting and well-told. Lots of photogenic people and things. On the main square opposite the cathedral is a museum and jewelry store that specializes in locally mined ambar. I bought some beautiful ambar jewelry with embedded insects for my kids at very reasonable prices.

Customs at the airport was a disorganized PITA. But I guess that's true anywhere.

B