View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 01:52 AM

240d valve stem seals

Hi gang,

I know this has been covered before, I have read most of what is here. I just want to be sure I don't drop a valve. That would wreck my weekend.

Here's what I plan to do. Set #1 cyl. to TDC by aligning mark on crank pulley to 0, at the same time some cam marks should line up. Both cam lobes should be pointed up and away from the valves at this time. Remove rocker arm, loosen valve nuts, remove spring and replace seal. I have the plastic protectors and will find a socket that fits to drive seals in. Then re-assemble.

Ok, when #1 cyl. is done, I will rotate clockwise using 27mm socket on crank bolt by 180 degrees. #3 cyl. should now be lined up and ready to go. After that, rotate 180 deg. and do #4. Rotate 180 deg. and finish on #2 cyl. Adjust valve clearances when done.

Have I missed anything? By the way, the car smokes blue at idle and quite a bit of blue when I let off the pedal during coasting. I get only the faintest black smoke under hard acceleration. Vacuum line from the vacuum pump to intake manifold looks clear so I think the diaphram is ok. Am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance,

Blake
'75 240D
'86 300E