View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 11:01 AM

Advise on a couple gassers

My oldest brother is looking for a car to replace his '73 Coronet (which has been a great car, but I can't seem to convince him to put some money into it instead of playing Russian roulette in the used-car market). So, of course I'm keeping my eyes open for any MB's in the paper. He's a grad student and single, so I think he'd be foolish to go with a Honda or Subaru or Toyota; I'm trying not to project my preferences on him, but I'd hate to see him go for something so bland.
Basically, he doesn't drive too much, and we live where things can get pretty cold, so I don't think a diesel would be the best choice. He's thinking on spending $5000 or less, but I know he'd be able to pay more if he found the right car. What's in the paper right now is a '86 420SEL for $4000 and a '91 190E for $5500 OBO (but it's an auto ). Any opinions on those cars? Any advice as to other cars to look for? My main concern with a newer Mercedes is if it should need repair work. I'd probably be the one doing any repair, and while I've got some experience, I don't have much know-how on fixing newer electronic equipment. I don't know if there are any good independants who do Mercedes work, and there aren't any dealers in the area. For this reason, I have thought about dropping the Mercedes idea, but I figure I should at least look and ask around first.
'78 300D w/approx 350,000 original, '62 Ford F100 4x4, '90 Ford E150 w/171,000 original