View Single Post
Old 05-28-2004, 05:09 PM
Just a guy

I see a few problems...

1. The dealership reacted to CEB's poor attitude with more of the same.

2. CEB should have gone with his car to the dealer, if only to know where it was. This is an expensive car. I would want to see the driver dropping the car and check for any towing damage. On any occurances where I have had to have a car towed, the driver has always let me ride along.

3. I would have arranged for a cab to pick me up at the dealer. While on route, I would have called anyone and everyone that might be effected by my delay. I would have also arranged for accomodation and a rental car. Most rental companies today deliver, especially to hotels.

4. If the dealer was closed at the time of drop off, I would have called them at the next time I could, when they were open. I would have explained my circumstance, and explained in detail about where the car was located and the symptoms.

5. Getting in touch with BMW roadside assistance, I would have inquired about reimbursement for rental cars, hotel expenses, etc. I know my MB plan covers most of those expenses.

6. As to warranty/service coverage, I would not expect BMW or a dealer to start calling/writing and reminding of important dates. That should be up to the owner. My own warranty on the C230 expires on June 18, 2004, or at 160,000km's whichever comes first for my complete coverage, and June 18, 2005 or 160K for the powertrain, whichever comes first.

We never had "included service" plans here in Canada, but I imagine that there are certin conditions that have to be met. You can't go in and have an oil change done every day. The brakes would have to be worn to a certain point before the dealer would be allowed to replace them under the plan. It is the responsibility of the car owner to understand these conditions and work within them. As to the brakes being $2000, I think that might be true. The cost of the rear brakes on our C36 was close to $1000 with labour for pads and discs with taxes. The C230 runs about $400 an axle at the dealership.

Anyone that loses their job because their car breaks down is either a member of the working poor that can't deal with such an event, or a moron that can't keep their priorities straight. BMW's intended customer for the M3 is NOT someone that balks at having to drop $1000+ for brakes. The bloody car is built with race car parts. If you can't handle the ownership costs for an M3, buy a 320i or a Camry. BMW has never presented the M3 as being an economical or sensible choice. They have truckloads of 3-series for that, not touched by the skunk-works.

I used to drive to meetings in other cities, and I enjoyed time in my car. However, I would do this allowing time for unforeseen circumstances. When the crunch was on, flying was the only way. This whole mess is a case of someone that can't plan or think ahead, and a dealer reacting poorly.

I used to own a retail store, and there are customers that you just can't please, no matter what you do. I'm not saying this guy is one, but it does happen. Let me tell you about a guy with a Honda Civic...

He had installed his own amplifier and couldn't get it to work. He called and asked if we could finish the install. I said that we could. He TOLD me "that would be about 1/2 hour's labour, right?" I explained that we could not give a firm price until seeing the work, and we did have a one hour minimum. About an hour later he arrived, and I sent a tech to have a look. The owner had really botched the job, and it needed some parts (to keep from setting the car on fire) and about an hour's work. I told him that it would be $50 in labour and about $40 in parts.

He FREAKED. He somehow believed that I had agreed to the "half hour" charge that he had been knocking around inside his pea-brain. I explained that we NEVER gave firm quotes over the phone, and that we had a one hour minimum charge. He went, literally, nuts in the showroom. He started explaining that he had driven all the way down to the store, and now I should pay for his gas and time. He was getting to the point where I thought it was going to get physical and I came out from behind the counter. He realized that I was not standing on a platform back there, and was indeed four inches and fifty pounds to the advantage. I asked the sales person to call the cops, and I asked the customer, nicely, to leave the store. He left.

Suppose this freak wrote some crap on the internet? He could have made up any old garbage. In the store I had other customers (all thought he was off his rocker) and staff to verify what happened. On some board, there is no accounting for the truth when it's time to fugure out what really happened. I do know, based on CEB's own posts, that he's a bit loopy.

http://img31.exs.cx/img31/4050/tophat6.gif