View Single Post
Old 05-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Banned

Re: Rep. Ron Paul, (R. Texas)--someone even a liberal could love

Quote:
Originally posted by Joseph Bauers
I had never heard of this guy until he appeared on NOW, with Bill Moyers Friday last. I found myself agreeing with most of what he said. Among the highlights:

1. He voted against the Iraq war, on the grounds that there was no reasonable intelligence that suggested Iraq was a real threat to the U.S.

2. He opposes nation building, especially bringing democracy to distant lands, primarily because it never works.

3. He thinks most of our expenditures in foreign countries is a waste. He thinks we should bring that money back home, throw half of it at reducing the debt, and use the other half for proven social programs that actually further the interests of the country.

4. He was stunned by the lack of debate on the Iraq War resolution.

5. He argues that Iraq is a contrived country, that it will probably never work as a single entity (except under the control of a strongman dictator). He thinks we should divide it into its disparate parts, and leave as soon as possible.

It's a pity that most of the loyal opposition Democrats were not as bold.

Anyone else know anything about this guy? A clue might be that he was scheduled to address the Libertarian Party convention.

Why are so many Libertarians on this board so committed to the Iraq war?

Joe B.
Now, Joe, you wouldn't be suggesting that they are hiding behind this Libertarian label for some reason?