View Single Post
Old 05-31-2004, 12:09 PM

Re: Brake guru's please give me some info. here

Quote:
Originally posted by Benz300

At this point, I want to know if there's anyone who has troubleshot the brake system taking the route described in the two articles. I've pretty much been to all the shops in the NJ area and everyone's given me a simple NO answer. That's a shame that the owners have to spend money on expensive brake parts because the shops just don't know how to troubleshoot the braking system properly.
The only shops that I can think of that are the shops who build the hotrods from ground up. Since they install all the components themselves I'm sure they would know what they're doing.
any comments will be appreciated.
I didn't read this whole paragraph because I got tied up reading the first link. While I have done such testing, I have to point out the shops side of your problem.

The most important part of the shops side of the problem is that it AIN'T their problem. If that part was clearly understood by the vehicle owner, one could sure find a big improvement in technical capabilities.

In the posts I found above two techs solved your problem on two separate Lexus cars, one a 94 LS400, the other a 92 ES300. I guarantee they weren't paid properly. What you are asking for is technical research and you probably want an estimate. The answer you get is due to the conditions of the venture.

Are you willing to pay, without an estimate, for a good tech to figure out your problem. What will you say when the guy finds a stuck caliper guide pin after ten hours of systematic testing that you wish. The pin costs 3 bucks, are you ready for $750 in labor, no way the bums a crook. Us techs know the way you (retorical you) are. Do you think we want such jobs knowing we will get screwed. What.. ten hours labor, you must be one dumb tech. Who needs it.

I spend my whole life doing such testing and diagnosis, I need 7 techs doing menial labor to afford me being able to do such. There is no money in such work, only fun. Fun don't pay the bills.

The whole of the automobile repair trade is really lost, because no one in their right minds would pay for what is necessary to fix 5- 10% of the repairs we see. In my case I can still do it cause my half million dollars in tools are paid for and I am too stupid to require a ROI. I don't even make money using them, but I do keep customers cars on the road so others can do waterpumps and brake pads enough to keep my doors open.

The chances of finding a similarly stupid well equiped tech who is subsidized by regular work is unlikely, as you have found. Donate your car to the lead tech at any shop you have been to and it will be fixed next week.
Bosch Master, ASE Master, L1
33 years MB technician