View Single Post
Old 06-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Banned

Should we re-instate the Gas Guzzler tax?

This thread is a continuation of a discussion started on another thread, a discussion that had absolutely nothing to do with the original topic, which I think was about John Kerri.

I am advocating a return to the Gas Guzzler tax on vehicles that get less the 20 mpg, not as a fuzzy wuzzy enviromentalist issue (even tho in fact, I am a fuzzy wuzzy environmentalist) but as an issue of national security. We have pumped America dry. We are so dependent on foriegn oil, the stock market now heaves and hos as the price of a barrel moves up and down. We now have to compete with China for the available foriegn oil, and the emerging democracies of the old Soviet Union are going to want their share pretty soon as well. We are currently, in my opinion, in a war to secure our oil supplies, which means we are being driven to the point that we now have to kill to get the stuff. a future like that is just so unlibertarian.

The only way to increase the global supply of crude is to get the American public to quit wasting it. The only way to get the vast funds required for a huge space-program style effort to find an alternative fuel is thru a tax, and it might as well be on those behemoths. Ok, behemoth drivers give me your best shot.