View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Lebenz
Having spent about 20 years in the business I advise against it. While it can be lucrative, and is most definitely interesting, you need to be tenacious and addicted to learning and problem solving in a big way. The never ending procession of new ways to do the same things along with the never ending litany of new things will wear you down a few years down the road, and make you wish you’d never pursued the path. Look into becoming a doc, a lawyer, a scientist, a professor. They require a slightly longer up front effort but it pays off in a lifetime of comparative ease.
Thats the damn truth. I've been in the computer business for 30 years and I have never stopped going to school. I am essentially repeating the same course over and over just to keep up - Intro to Pascal became Intro to Vb become Intro to VB 6, now I'm taking Intro to VB.NET. Same thing on the database side. From Dbase to SQL 7 to Access 9.0, I've had to take a course in them all over a 30 year period. 90% of what I learned is now obsolete crap in an bargain bin. It is never ending. I envy the people who mow lawns for a living.