View Single Post
Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 AM

Hi
I'm not all that familiar with CAI on an ML, love to see a picture, maybe you can link me to a seller.
If it involves a washable media filter, that is what I believe the real problem is, it's contaminating the MAS. I don't think the MIL is being CAUSED be the intake charge being colder at all. Can you try doing this with a dry media filter somehow? Are you in the position now where you need to replace the MAS? If you can't try a dry media filter, you can try just really lightly oiling the filter.
The MAS is really a rather "dumb" device and cold/warmer/wetter/drier won't really affect things. Eventually it gets worn out or contaminated, then the readings are screwy and the mixture ends up being wrong. Well, eventually the mixture ends up being off anyways. The engine operates the mixture cycle to get correct readings at the O2 sensors, but it uses the MAS to "predict" what the mixture should be, and normally it's all very efficient. If the little film matrix in the MAS gets either worn, ie "pitted" by dirt (caused by a bad filter or air intake leaks), or a load of this filter oil gets on it, you get bad readings and eventually a check engine light (MIL or CEL). This all courtesy of the Federl Gummint, o'course (OBDII).
Hope this helps a little, let me know if I can try some other questions. You may be able to clean up the matrix and reuse the MAS, not really anything I've ever gotten in to, but if you're the one buying the new MAS, it may be worth a try.
There is a thread I think in this forum about doing just that (cleaning MAS).

Gilly