Thread: biodiesel
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2004, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Joe
Hmmm,
Seems to be a little disagreement and rufled feathers over this one.
While I wasn't trying to step on either toes nor egos here,
I must speak from my experience.

From personal observation of the production of some big batches of biodiesel, I can say that 20% methanol or ethanol is used, at least by some people,
Whether or not any is left in the final product is a matter of speculation unless it is made in a controlled industrial setting, or, say, washed. I have dealt mainly with the backyard boys and girls.
There were remains in their final product.

But that wasn't even my point.
If you are going to produce a fuel that begins with 80% veggy oil, and 20% methanol, you are using petroleum products. Period. You are creating a demand for more petroleum. Sure, it's only 1/5, but it remains dino-derived.
Something I'm trying to get away from as much as possible.

As far as the certainty of "no glycerin" in the final product, well, I've seen it sitting in the bottom of goldenrod filters, post production. Sometimes, lots of it.

These absolutes seem not only malinformed, they seem somewhat dangerous. "Biodiesel", it seems, comes in many flavors and qualities. To deny imperfection is to be ideal, rather than real. People making it themselves probably have less than perfect fuel.

And any conversation regaling the "make it yourself" vibe ought to have an insight about what will happen if you get a splash of that meth-lye mixture in your eyes.

I stand by my statement that biodiesel "eats rubber." Degrades rubber is a fine substitution for that statement. Whatever. You must replace old soft rubber if you choose to use BD, period. That is also something of a "modification" for one to consider.
I disagree with the recommendation of letting fuel lines deteriorate to the point of leaking before replacement. If so, how much of that deteriorated crud had gone into your IP? Your injectors? The air? We filter for a reason.

Last but not least, I love bio-diesel. I buy it all the time professionally made for $3 a gallon, to suppliment a two-tank conversion. But I think SVO is better, funner, safer, and produces superior smelling exhaust!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Backyard biodiesel while interesting isn't perfect. Especially if you are dealing with waste oil. Unless you are very carefull in testing the PH of your oil and then very carefull in titrating to determine how much lye you need to use in the reaction there is typically quite a bit of glycerin and methanol still in the fuel at the end.

I've been considering suplimenting my 2tank system with biodiesel as well. As far as the Acrolein, I've been reading up on it a little today and for the most part from what I've read it is also a byproduct of burning biodiesel, albiet in smaller quantities.

I'm not a certified mechanic, but I did stay at a HolidayInn Express last night.