Thread: biodiesel
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgeo
Unless you are buying your methanol from a supplier that gauruntees his stuff is not manufactured by the petroleum industry then..... it probably is a petroleum product. From what I read most non drinking alcohol production in the word is produced from a petroleum byproduct by the petroleum industry. Guess this means probably ALL of the biodiesel you have made contains a % of petroleum product.

Probably the only way to avoid petrleum connected methanol is to buy stuff listed as "wood alcohol". Your price for methanol will tripple I suspect.

For me another reason I choose not to go w/ makeing biodiesel. is because the closest cost effective supplier for methanol is several hundred miles away. Not worth it.
The methanol we procure here and in the Pac northwest is indeed organic based alchohol. Because of the petro industries existing infrastructure of making/distributing fuel, yes, they are the most cost-effective industry, but it doesn't mean that all the methanol they provide is petroleum based.

Much of the race fuel methanol is synthesized from methane, but the fact is, if you're using petroleum motor oil in your car, then saying that you don't want BD because it may have a residual of petroleum is kind of like the pot calling the kettle....

But, I don't disagree with trying to get off of our petroleum addiction.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol