Thread: biodiesel
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 02:36 PM

Quote:
"...Incomplete combustion of glycerine does produce acrolein; that is a fact. I have no idea what quantities are produced by burning tri-, di- and mono-glycerides though. Remember that there is no significant free glycerine in svo....."
The glycerine is "freed" in the combustion process, you can't avoid burning it. SVO and WVO have LARGE amounts of glycerine, this is what is removed from it in the BD reaction process.

Also, this person is just one poster on one forum and most forums skirt this issue altogether (as found by both of our inability to find much on the subject) so I'd take his AND my statements with a grain of salt.

Maybe we can both dig deeper on this subject, probably even to the point of testing TP emissions of various SVO's and WVO's on a lab engine to determine the various byproducts. One thing I did read on a Univ study somewhere was coming up with an organic oil source that has low acrolein and NOx emmisions. Will try to find that.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol