Thread: biodiesel
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy Joe
Hmmm, never did understand that oft-used line of reasoning.
That is an all or nothing justification, which just isn't valid, imho.
Sacrifices must be made in our industrial culture, ....

Right, by this line of reasoning, you are contradicting yourself. The minimal amount of methanol used for the conversion is a "no-no", but you can use all the petroluem oils you want everywhere else? Remember, 20% is NOT the total methanol used. In a proper wash system with a methanol recovery, 20-30% of the methanol used is recovered for re-use. But you can justify the SVO/WVO use however you want.

Quote:
.... With proper heating, oil is working great with engines.
If people choose to take shortcuts with their expensive cars, that's just their misfortune. Same thing with BD shortcuts.
Your "no matter what, oil will coke injectors" statement just does not stand up to the 100's of testimonials of long term successful veggy use, with no harmful effects.....
The people in this movement are not generally heavy mechanics, they are "users". People who have NOT torn engines down after long-term use and tested for failure analysis. Here's a pic of a coked injector (one of all eight that were coked) I pulled THIS WEEK from a veggie truck (~30k miles of use):

"it looks fine to me?" is the comment I get from the veggie guys who pass it off as "hey, it has 20k miles on it running SVO, what'ya expect, dude?"

Quote:

Check out the Maui board, Biofuels, Greasel, Greasecar, ect.
They disagree entirely.
I have and do regularly as I also post my findings for them to use. Not ONE person who has had any real experience or in-depth knowledge of mechanics "disagrees entirely" (in fact most who understand mechanics and have experience working on grease cars agree that there WILL be coking issues and that's fine with them.) Presented with evidence, there's not much to dispute. They just accept coking problems after XX miles and that's fine with me.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol