Thread: biodiesel
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2004, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgeo
Don't look fine to me but your not giving enough information. Is this a DI or IDI engine? Why were ya'll removing the injectors? Were the injectors ever inspected before the swap to WVO? How hot does he get the actual vege oil to?. Does he drive his diesel like a baby or does he tax the engine like a diesel truck is designed?
I'm not going to give five pages of information just to prove a point, but these are Powerstroke injectors (7.3 DI) and I've pulled them from petro diesel trucks with >100k on them and they are fine (comparatively, of course, still needed O-rings though). One injector was inspected at 60k, typical smoking. This was 30k later. The truck is a work truck. It is "worked", but it does idle a lot (which admittedly could be an issue.)

Quote:
Originally posted by coachgeo
.....Injectors should be pulled and inspected every five to ten thousand miles at first when you convert a vehicle to WVO. .....
YIKES!! On a Merc, no prob, on a Powerstroke? NO WAY! This is a $600 job just to replace one injector. Truthfully, I don't think that motor is well suited to biofuels. Cummins, Perkins, even Detroits would be more forgiving I believe.

Heating does seem to be key in minimizing coking and deposits, but I'm thinking that the animal oils in most WVO plays a part in this too. SVO from virgin oil doesn't seem to have half the coking issues as WVO (but it still does have more issues than most are willing to admit - until they come to me for repairs.)

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol