View Single Post
Old 06-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Supercalifragilisticexpia

Quote:
Originally posted by Botnst

Is it ever justifiable to torture?

Does it matter what type of torture one uses? (Loud persistent use of Abba, and I'd confess to Dahlmer's crimes!).

If certain types of torture are sanctioned, should information gained through torture be available as legal evidence?

Bot

For me the simple answer to that is no. We (the US) are supposed to be the champion of freedom, democracy, personal freedoms … etc. If we are to the flag bearer of such freedoms and we want other to follow in our foot steps then is not our obligation to show the world that it works?

One could argue that “play by the rules” places us at a disadvantage when our enemies do not abide by the same rules of engagement. Fine, we are at a disadvantage. Stooping to their level only proves to them that what we advocate does not at the very least, work all of the time. Are we saying that democracy is the way to go, but when it is inconvenient go ahead and do what you need to do in order to get the job done?

In my eyes that makes up no better then those we are seeking to oust from power. We always hear the comfortable little quote that “freedom is not free”. It is not free, in fact I would argue it is expensive as hell. When we start to sacrifice our freedoms and our morals out of fear and anger, we have lost.

I guess I am using a narrow definition of torture. To paraphrase a Supreme Court Justice, I do not know how to define torture, but I know it when I see it. Listening to ABBA (who I personally like) is not torture. Beating someone, sodomizing with a stick is.

I do not see how we can have it both ways. Either we stand for justice, freedom and the rule of law or we do not.

2014 C250 21,XXX my new DD ** 2013 GLK 350 18,000 Wife's new DD**

- With out god, life is everything.
- God is an ever receding pocket of scientific ignorance that's getting smaller and smaller as time moves on..." Neil DeGrasse Tyson
- You can pray for me, I'll think for you.
- When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.