View Single Post
Old 06-16-2004, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jpmaynard
oh and the electric aux fan is wired to the AC which doesnt work. I am planning on wiring it with a relay switch to help out on steep climbs, but i dont think that will help me out when im going 75 on the highway. also seems more like a band-aid then a cure.
For the orig question, YES, they screw into the timing chain area, just make sure you use thread sealer (ultra-black RTV or something like that) on the cleaned threads before re-installing them.

For the auxilliary fan, I've worked on a LOT of A/C systems since summer started here and most of the problems with the fans are one of two things;

1. Fan bearing decomposed causing the motor to lock to the magnets (none or rough movement.) Replace bearing with a SEALED bearing #NTN 6001 (straight forward replacement).

2. A/C fan temp switch bad. The switch at the receiver/drier with the pigtails coming off. D/C the fan wires and short together with a jumper. If the fan comes on, then the temp switch was bad. Check your local import parts houses for one. Dealer wants $46, best online source wants $25, I buy them at the local imports place for $17.

Another problem with the fan if it does not run when jumpered is the bushings can melt through the plastic guides and cock sideways, but I've only seen that on one fan out of a dozen or so.

For the stock thermal clutch, do the Toyota viscous fluid mod, did the trick for a few overheating cars I've had here. I now buy the 10k cst fluid from Toyota in quantity.

1983 300D - parts car

1979 300TD Auto - Parts car.

1985 300D Auto - Wrecked/Parts.

=========================

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there". Lewis Carrol