View Single Post
Old 06-19-2004, 07:00 PM
Zen And The Art Of Diesel

Quote:
Originally posted by pdxwaker
I guess the point is that damage will occur to your speakers if you have distortion (either caused by overexerting your speakers or by clipping your amplifier). To reach a desired volume level you need two things... an amplifier that is powerful enough and speakers that can handle the power. In my case I have somewhat inefficient speakers and I knew I'd have too much distortion with the stock amplifier. I opted for an external amplifier...

BTW I don't listen to music at 'extreme' volume levels...

I lost this thread somehow.

Yes, clipping, which you CANNOT always hear, will kill speakers, even quality speakers(which will usually tolerate clean playing with a little much current, long as it's clean. If you can ever look at an amp on an oscilliscope you'd understand. This is why quality amps are expensive, sure one from wallmart or jc whitney might be a 500watt amp and put out that wattage, but my god what a dirty signal.

I say underpowering will kill speakers because it's easier for most laymen to understand, and I don't want to have to explain about clipping etc and hope I remember all the details correctly, haveing more amp than speaker by a slight margin and being careful is the path to audio bliss.

I've been trying to blow my stockers lately, well, not trying, but not-not turning the volume up lately either. They seem to be built like the rest of the car, tuff.