View Single Post
Old 02-19-2001, 06:44 PM

Well since it was raining, My day off today kind of wasted again but at least this time I can blame mother nature.

I plan on having the tire store loosen up the frozen lugs. I then plan on torqeing them myself to the correct torque specs.

So that this does not happen again.

My jeep had rounded lug heads on a few lugs, and the tire store I took them to had to sledge on a smaller socket to get em out.

I do not plan on having them do this because the head on the lug is ok, that puppy is just stuck like its welded stuck. The lug broke a deep wall socket (not a high quality one though) and broke a 4 point lug wrench. So I figure that with a good quality socket, 6 point seems to be the recommended one, I should be ok next time I have to remove them and put them back.

When they break out that impact wrench to redo the tightenening, I instantly stop em, make them hand torque it, and find a new tire shop to use in the future. I'd hate to have to leave the car there to ocme back and find out they impacted them on.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, the info in here, will save my day the next time.

Here is a list of what I use in the future.
1. Anti Seize compound on the threads and lugs.
2. torque wrench set to factory torque specs for torquing the lugs properly, then reset to zero before storing the tool.
3. Tighten in star pattern
4. get a 6 point deep socket of very high quality and strength.
5. Get breaker bar and handle extension for extra torque to remove troublesome lugz.
6. Retorque wheels every 3500-5000 miles

I think thats about it.

Thanks for all the advise, correct my list if its wrong though too please.

Alon