View Single Post
Old 06-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Diesel Power

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Miley
OMG Jim, you bought stuff from Benzbaron and **************. Traitor!!

I sold a car one on Ebay. Didn't get a really great price for it, but the car was a dog anyway. I met the guy at the airport, he paid with a certified check and drove the car out of state. I trusted him with the license plate on the car, he said he'd send it to me, and of course I never saw it again. Good thing I didn't need that plate anyway. I also got lucky that the check was real and not a fake.

Lessons learned: verify payment and make the buyer do the DMV stuff.

I also bought a car advertised here on Mercedesshop (240D in my signature). New York DMV was a royal pain requiring 3 trips and numerous phone calls and faxes, but the seller was fantastic and we got it all done.

This brings up another point. When I'm doing an auction. I push for Paypal payments, or certified funds. Plain ol' checks result in the item held untill the check clears. Paypal fees are a PITA, but I figure it to be cheap insurance to gurantee payment of funds.

Always make sure that you are in the position of power on an auction that you are the seller. This helps insure being stiffed for payment of the product.

Same goes for when you are the buyer. Again, I look for paypal options on auctions - especially when there are multiple choices for the same or similar items. When the auction ends, payment is sent in typically immediately after the auction closes. With the paypal users, I have the means of getting my money back if the seller is a deadbeat. Thus far, I've had zero issues on either side of the ebay fence.