View Single Post
Old 02-20-2001, 01:49 PM
Well I just turned 17, and my first car is an 81 280E that I bought as a project/fixer-upper, and needed a lot of work because it was very, very badly maintained by the previous owner (sure was cheap though ). A few things about the 123's and teenagers - they're very loud, not too fast, except the 300d turbo which is the loudest of the bunch. They're also very, very bad to put simple stereo's in; without a lot of work a cd player and some cheap new speakers won't sound half as good as they would in most newer cars (even 124's). A few of their common problems can also be quite a problem for teenagers - most of the 123's ive seen have quite a bit of play in their steering wheels, and though I don't know your daughter, most teenagers do tend to drive with one hand/no hands sometimes to show off, and if you don't have both hands firmly holding the wheel, the car does have a tendency to move to one side (usually the right) quite fast, which could easily cause problems. Also, make sure that if you get one the a/c works; a lot of them have a/c problems which can be a pain in the summer. The 123 does look a little too classic for a lot of teenagers, but it sure does get a lot of attention. I think a 190e would be a great idea; its quiet, pretty small, easy to drive, and looks pretty modern.