View Single Post
Old 06-23-2004, 09:56 PM

I read through the other thread and have a few observations:

Unsure why this would be ticking constantly

This is a M104 engine with HFM and EA. The EA module in effect is the cruise control module, but also handles the operation of the entire throttle motor (Electronic Accelerator, Cruise Control, Idle Speed Control, usually abbreviated EA/CC/ISC). I am unsure of the location of this module, it very well may be what is clicking.
IF that's what is clicking, this may well be why the engine isn't starting properly, although if it eventually starts, idles and drives OK (and the cruise works), one wonders why the problem magically clears up and everything is fine and no check-engine light at all.

My gut reaction is that if this clicking is related to the problem starting, and it's all related to the EA system, MORE than likely it's related to the well-documented engine wiring harness problems that this vintage of 104's are known for.

It would be best to have someone monitor if there is a fuel pressure problem when this occurs, or spark/ignition or fuel triggering problems, etc, and also do a quick-check for diagnostic trouble codes in the major engine related subsystems.

Gilly