View Single Post
Old 06-24-2004, 05:47 PM
Stressed Member

'85 300D in Coral Springs, FL

I noticed a listing recently for an '85 300D in Coral Springs, Florida. I spoke with the seller, and it sounds as though it might be interesting.

Mileage is claimed to be 97k miles, price is $4000 obo. Claims to have owned the car for 7 years and ~35k miles, and to have records showing regular service during that time. Also claims that he bought it from a mechanic after some major rebuilding (engine?) was performed due to damage from filling the tank with gasoline. I don't have enough diesel experience to know if this makes sense. The guy may have gotten the story wrong, and his mechanic may have more to say about it. Comments?

The only acknowledged problem is some fairly recent body damage. It was described as a panel truck scraping down one side of the car across both doors, but I haven't seen any pictures yet, and he doesn't have any handy to send. Having a good idea of what would be required to set this to rights would help me decide what it might be worth to me.

1. Is there anybody down in that neck of the woods who might be willing to eyeball the car in person?

2. The seller said that he would e-mail me contact information for the mechanic who has maintained the car. Again, anybody familiar with the area who might be able to vouch for (or cast aspersions on the honor of) said mechanic/shop, if and when a name is forthcoming?

-- eskimo