Thread: Pass keys
View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 10:50 AM

I feel an explanation of my original post is in order. As to why MB may cover the cost of keys under a warranty – perhaps keeping the customer content is a better description of MB’s return investment in such a case. BMW recently made me a pass key for my 735i free of charge and that vehicle is 19 years old. BMW was not responsible for the cost yet they absorbed the cost in good faith. Will a $35 free key prompt me to spend $90K at BMW rather then MB when I purchase my next new vehicle? Sometimes little things impact big decisions.

As for why would anyone want a mickey mouse key consider the possibility your wife somehow locks your ML with the keys inside. A pass key in her purse can open the driver’s door and she can insert the real key into the ignition to turn off the alarm. The alternative is calling a tow truck service to gain access to the vehicle which is costly, time consuming, and could cause damage.

Gilly, as always I appreciate your detailed response and info concerning the number of keys for certain model years.

2000 ML320 (37K Mi)
1985 BMW 735i (155K Mi)
1989 Caravan (102K Mi) cargo hauler
2000 Montana (40K Mi) family hauler