View Single Post
Old 07-02-2004, 02:23 AM

Thanks MTI,

I have just done a bit of a search for "door check strap" but the symptoms described there don't really describe what I'm hearing (except for a few which seem to suggest a separate problem with the door lock/latch/strike mechanism). "Check strap" is what I was trying to think of when I said door "stay". I am familiar with faulty check straps and the "clacking" noise they make when opening and closing the door and I have also seen plenty that do not hold the door in the detent positions either (particularly on W123s). Can they also make the deeper "clunk" I am experiencing? The check straps on mine appear fine. They hold the doors as intended and make no noise opening and closing the doors. The doors still close with a single reassuring "MB thunk". In fact, apart from the noise I describe the whole car is surprisingly quiet for 225,000km, with no rattles or noises (except for occasional leather squeaks, the disadvantage of leather Sportline interior).

The only time I get the noise I describe is when the car is being driven. I may be wrong but the sound appears to be coming from the lock/latch/strike mechanism area of the front door (ie. rear edge of front door) rather than the check straps (ie. front edge of either front or back door). I am prepared to accept that it is the check strap if someone can verify that replacing it does indeed fix the symptom I have with mine.

Greg
201.028: 190E 2.3 Sportline, 5-speed manual, arctic white, blue leather.
201.028: 190E 2.3, 4-speed auto, blue-black, grey MBtex.
201.034: 190E 2.3-16, 5-speed manual, blue-black, black leather.