View Single Post
Old 07-03-2004, 01:12 AM
Unbanned...?

M119 - low power off idle - help! (W124, 500E)

OK, so I figured it was time to start a thread about my low power problem, mentioned elsewhere a few times. A little background data is here, if you're interested:

http://500ecstasy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14&page=4

Anyway, here's the latest scoop:

The car (1994 E500), when at operating temp, won't spin the STOCK tires from a stop in first gear. I have the BergWerks FGS and ASR defeat. When warm (85-90C on the dash gauge), 75F ambient temp, if I punch the gas from a stop it just takes off - no wheelspin (with ASR defeated), or no engagement of ASR (with ASR active).

When the car is cold (just reached 60C on the dash gauge), it will light up the tire(s) pretty easily, and spin all the way to the redline in first, then hooking up during the shift to second. When warm, forget it. Nada.

Here's what I've done. New plugs (old ones were very worn) - no change. New OE air filters - no change. Pulled LH module for 15 minutes to re-set (several times) - no change. Was using Sinclair 92 octane (pump decal says 'with 10% ethanol for cleaner air'). Added 2 gallons toluene to half tank of that gas, for nearly 20% mix - NO CHANGE. I even re-set the LH module again after putting in the rocket fuel. I drove around for 30-40 miles to make sure the rocket fuel was mixed and into the engine, still no change. Usual ambient temps are in the 70-85F range, elevation is 2400ft above sea level. (Side note - when I got home I popped the hood and was looking around while the engine was running, and noticed it had an intermittent miss at idle, that I don't recall being there before... grrrr. Also seemed less than perfectly smooth when held at ~2000rpm, but I'll need to compare to when it's cooler.)

Some WAG's: Top end power *seems* OK, since it will pull to the top speed limiter, and 1/4 mile trap speed is good (95mph) considering the weak launch. I wonder if the cam adjusters aren't adjusting? They're supposed to advance (?) cam timing in the low/mid RPM range to boost power. No idea how to test that. I guess I could do a compression test for grins, but it doesn't smoke, burn a lot of oil, or seem low on peak power so I was assuming that's not likely to be the issue.

So now what? It's embarassing (and depressing!) that stock 400E's can whip me at the dragstrip...