View Single Post
Old 07-10-2004, 03:54 PM

Thumbs up (w108) Non-stock Mercedes wheels and tires, oh and motor too! lol

I have a w108 1968 250s. Years ago I got sick and tired of the poor choices of wheels for the car, so................

Not worried about originality, off to my buddy's car shop I went. We pulled all the hubs, and restudded them with a chevy bolt pattern! SWEET!!!!! Now I can run just about any kind of dam rim I wish! It rocks! Oh, and for anyone else with a 108 or 109, this is a really nice thing to do, cuz you can step up to as large as a 18" wheel if done right. We are putting 16 or 17's on ours.

Well, the mods didnt stop at the wheels.... we also yanked the crappy drivetrain, and replaced it with high performance chevy parts. It now sports a high performance 229v6, 350 turbo tranny, and a corvette rear end. Woohoo! Sorry folks, but I like it a heck of alot more than the original drivetrain. It rocks! We're now working on a new paintjob, custom interior, and custom audio system....

Anyway... biggest point of this whole thing is/was... if you get sick of the few crappy and EXPENSIVE choices you have for your 108 when it comes to tires and wheels, there IS an alternative. And honestly, if a person WAS concerned with originality, you could always buy a second set of hubs and have THEM drilled, and then install those. If, at a later date you choose to sell and want to sell as "all original", then re-install the original hubs, wheels and tires.

Oh, and I think it cost $25/US to re-drill and remount all the hubs... no biggie. Certainly worth it cuz we have a world of choices now for tires and wheels, at an affordable price....