View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 09:39 PM

Greasecar giving me pains... '80 300D

Alright, so I've got the overflow from the fuel filter housing going through a valve. In 'normal' position, it gets sent right back to the diesel tank, but in 'grease mode' it loops back into the intake line. This is supposed to keep the oil up to temp. (I have triple bypass hosing in place, so the oil's heated all the way from the coolant-heated tank, along the underbody, and into the engine compartment. )

I've got clear lines in place, and through them I see that the overflow from the banjo fitting has bubbles in it. These bubbles in normal mode just go back to the tank, but in grease mode they accumulate and choke out the engine. I've just replaced the banjo bolt with a 12mm/1.5/20mm bolt. I've also torqued down the filter bolt, and both 'in' and 'out' banjo fittings.

Questions:
If one of the overflow (black, braided and replaced less than a year ago) lines was compromised, wouldn't it be wet?

Are there seals on the IP that could allow air into the system? Is it possible for froth to make it through the injector-sites and back out through the overflow? I'm just about out of ideas... which brings me to... running the grease overflow back to the tank in the trunk. Anyone wanna warn me off of that?

Thanks for your attention, guys... I'm about at wits end. Cheers!

Ash
1998 Honda VTR1000F(RT) Superhawk Freeway (58,000) "Madrid"
1996 Toyota T100 4x4 (84,000) "Mary Kay"