View Single Post
Old 07-13-2004, 11:32 PM

250SE,
For the most part, the W108, like my Fintail, is relatively easy to work on, though with such old-tech features as point distributor ignition and kingpin front suspension. The suspension has metal bushings instead of the rubber and balljoints used in modern cars. There's at least 14 grease fittings on that front end that need periodic greasing. Perhaps 3 more on the driveshaft and 2 at the rear swing-axle pivot. Without knowing how long you've owned this car or what service records you have for it, some other things to keep an eye on are the rubber brake hoses. Even if they look OK, as they age they can deteriorate internally and plug up, eventually causing one or more of the brakes to seize, pull and overheat. If you plan on doing your own heavy maintenance & repairs, I strongly recommend finding a factory Mercedes repair manual, perhaps through online bookdealers or Ebay. They're also availible on computer CD but I've heard mixed opinions on those. I'd certainly want a good manual handy before attempting any repair to the mechanical fuel injection.

Happy Motoring, Mark