View Single Post
Old 07-16-2004, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gsxr
That little episode prompted me to replace every rubber cooling system hose in the engine compartment, as the ruptured hose had looked FINE.
Done within 2 weeks of purchase in March 2004. An update after the fan clutch repair and 4 days of commuting (BTW, the fan now stops immediately when I hit the manual stop).

Morning temps warming up and I have been running the AC full time. Traffic not too bad the last 2 mornings with no significant stop and go--about a mile altogether of the 34 mile drive. Temp stays at 100c or below.

Afternoon temps are nearing 100C with the interior of the car heated to 140F when I get in. Yesterday, about 1/3 of the 34 miles was serious stop and go. Several stretches of stop and go of at least a mile and 2 stretches of 3-4 miles in which the max speed was 20 or less and most was at crawl speed to low to show on speedometer. Temp (according to guage--I will check the sender and guage this weekend for accuracy) was at 100C before the first stop and go and it then began to rise, but mostly stayed at approx. 110C until the last 3 mile stop and go and it was a bad one). By the end of that stretch, the gauge was nearing 120C, so I hit the defrost button and the guage went back down to about 105C. Turned the AC back on and drove the remainder (about 8 miles, mostly moving between 30 and 55 mph) with 105-110C.

Currently, I have the original thermostat back in and it does pass the tests. The aftermarket one I had bought failed all tests. Anyway, I have a new MB t-stat to test and install this weekend. I plan to pull the raditor and wash it and the condensor this weekend. I plan a good flush at the same time. The radiator cap is a new MB--I have not checked for actual bar pressure, but it does hold. I am running a 50/50 mix of coolant, but I also have new MB coolant to install after the flush.

NO water in the oil;
NO oil in the water;
NO water blowing out the tailpipe while idling either hot or cold;
NO known water coming out of the overflow, but possible while driving if the cap is not holding pressure; and
NO coolant leaking from water pump, hoses, reservior tank, radiator or inside the car.

But I had to add about 1/2 gal of mix after having topped off on Monday. So...............?