View Single Post
Old 07-17-2004, 05:58 PM

Well put Mr. Brotherton!!

My post was intended to evoke that exact response. Let me qualify my experience on this matter. In 1969-1970 I worked at a Ford dealership after school and on Saturdays. I started out washing parts and cleaning the mechanic's bays and tools. The parts manager saw potential in my work ethic and had me assisgned as his assistant. In that job I learned about mark up and cost/profit. A few years later I embarked on the path of the small self employed bussinessman. I learned a lot from that 12 year battle!! Now, fast forward to the present. I am currently working as a courier for a factory parts franchise. I see the invoices daily and I see the list verses cost on every one. Radiators and A/C compressors have 300% mark up. Other parts have very small mark ups, so it averages out. (unless you're the poor soul that needs a radiator or compressor!)
But, I also see how much lifts and diagnostics and tools and, well, all the overhead costs. I also see people bent over all day wrestling with "that damn hard to get to bolt" or that "Ooops! I shorted the computer!!!" problems that keep most of us away from being pro techs. I know some shop owners that make a good living and others that fight it every step of the way. I suppose the bottom line is that if you choose this line of work, then you'd better learn how to be the Lead Dog. The only wealthy people I have ever known at a dealership were the owners, and I've seen some of them go broke.