View Single Post
Old 07-18-2004, 01:54 PM

I think Richard, like all others in the same position, objects to the bogus 5.00.

There are several competent shops that alogn Mercedes for 50.00 -75.00, he just didn't find one.

I wouldn't sharpen a pencil in Hialeah, Florida, let alone have my Merceds aligned there. My dad took his 240 for an oil change and asked why the guy never change the copper gasket on the oil plug, the guy told him it's no big deal to use the old one.

Duh! Why do they bribng new ones in the box?

I understand Steve's point about the Mechanic's negative perception:

My friend works as a mechaninc for a local Amoco and in orfer for him to WORK there, he has to split all profit, 50/50 with the owner of the gas station.

I asked him if he thought that was fair and he said hell yes, if I had to buy all this equipment and property, I'd probably make less than what I do now.

ANyway, I often see customers gripe about his minimum labor charge of 12.00(which is a joke) which he will charge to plug a tire or to put you car on a lift to give you a "look see" for an estimate.

HE often tells people that if his electricity is not free, nor is the lift or his time and the measly 12.00 is a pittance.

Think of how many jerkball customers drive around all day to save 10.00 on a repair? If he had to give them all free estimates, just for them to go and "price shop" he would lose a lot of time/money.

Another example:

He changed the oil and rotated tires on one of my cars(driven by employee). The guy left and came bback to his shop complaining of a rattle under the hood. Well it turns out that 2out of 3 bolts that hold the ac cracked. What does that have to do with oilchange /tire rotation? Nothing, but my driver insisted that he "must have done something" because that noise wasn't there before.

Tough situation to be in, especially if you are an honest person like this guy is. I see the frustration building on him daily.