View Single Post
Old 07-24-2004, 08:23 PM
Diesel Dean

my turn for the OM603 cracked head syndrome

It would appear that is my turn to deal with the infamous 603 problematic head. During my 60 mile 1 way commute, my 87 300D started to emit white smoke, at which point my rear end began to pucker as I glanced down at the temp gauge and it was about 5 millimeters from the red, I was on the first of 2 bridges I cross, in heavy traffic, when this all started, and I decided to get it to the top of the bridge where I could coast it to a rest stop. After sitting for about 30 min with the hood vertical, I turned on the ignition. The gauge was back below 80 so I opened the reservoir. There was coolant in the tank but I topped it off with some of the gallon of water I carry in the trunk. I started it and saw smoke (actually steam) coming from the tank. I it smelled like burning antifreeze. I remembered a discussion with gsxr where if the upper hose is pressurized after a very short while when the car is started, that there is a problem with the head gasket and/or head. So I capped the tank and sure enough within 10 seconds there was much pressure in the hose.

Background:
I have done several engine swaps rebuilds and repairs on American Japanese and other German cars (Porsche and VW) and am somewhat well equipped as far as tools go. I own the 124 CD owners manuals and have found them pretty useful. But I really value the input of all of your experience and wisdom; it has proven extremely useful in the past.
My plea:
Can anyone get me through some of the particulars involved with removing and replacing the head?