View Single Post
Old 07-28-2004, 05:03 PM

1983 Mercedes 300d air conditioning

I have a 1983 Mercedes 300d with 309,000 miles on it. The car is in beautiful condition but the only thing that dosent work is the air conditioning. I was told that the problem could be fixed for $800 but i was never told the specifics of the problem. I was wondering if there was a way to pin point the problem so that i can fix it myself and save some cash. The dealer I go to is notorious for pushing parts. Im not sure if its the compressor or something differnet. Any feedback will be appreshiated.
Scott LeMoine
Also,
This past winter when starting the car it turned over pretty easily but would not stay on. i had to keep my foot on the accelerator to keep the engine running and when i take my foot off, the car died. I know that the diesel likes to be hot, but i sat ther for 20 min holding the engine at 1000 and it still would shut off when i backed off the gas. I have a electric block heater but this has no effect. It has never been this bad in the past. I have a 1984 VW Rabbit Diesel that cranks up like a jiffy in cold weather. So im not sure what the problem is with the Benz.
thanks