View Single Post
Old 07-29-2004, 02:25 AM

Two years ago I experienced the identical problem, and the identical symptoms, and replacing the fan clutch solved it.

With the clutch still on the car, I'm only aware of two tests that the professionals use, by sight and feel, and even then you can be deceived.

The first, and most obvious, is to observe that the clutch engages. When it does engage, and with the engine compartment open, no one standing near it has to wonder about it because it comes on like "gang busters" and immediately moves an enormous amount of air, like a wind storm. Here, however, is the point where an inexperienced person can be deceived. If the clutch is slipping, it will still do everything I described, except the flow of air will not be delivered with the same force and volume. In fact, it will do just what has happened in your case. The air flow at idle speed will not be sufficient to keep the engine at nomal temperture and the temp. gradually climbs.

In my case, I had given the fan clutch a passing grade but an old timer at a "radiator shop" disagreed, and he was correct.

I hope this helps.

William