View Single Post
Old 08-01-2004, 03:40 AM

Broken Radiator Hose Fitting, 1981 300D

I wasn't sure whether I should put this post in the Diesel Discussion or Tech Help section. Please let me know if this is the wrong place.

While doing another repair today, I bumped the large coolant hose at the top of the radiator, and it came detached. I looked closer and noticed that part of the cylindrical nipple on the radiator had broken off with the hose (i.e., the part that the hose is normally clamped onto). There's still about half an inch of this fitting left. (In case it's unclear, this is the top attachment point, on the driver's side of the radiator, about 1.25" in diameter.) I think this plastic fitting must have become brittle somehow.

What I'm wondering is, can I clamp the hose back onto the remaining stub of the radiator fitting, or would that just be asking for trouble? Or is there any way I can "rebuild" this fitting?

I'd like to avoid the expense of putting in a whole new radiator right now, but I also have a 1200-mile round-trip to make in the car next week, so I need to know I can count on it. Any suggestions?

Matthias

P.S. Attached are pictures of the radiator, highlighting the broken part, and of the broken-off bits. Sorry for the poor night-time focus.
Attached Thumbnails
Broken Radiator Hose Fitting, 1981 300D-radiator_and_parts.jpg